Child Welfare Trauma Training Toolkit (2013)
About the Curriculum
The Child Welfare Trauma Training Toolkit 2nd Edition is designed to teach basic knowledge, skills, and values about working with children who are in the child welfare system and who have experienced traumatic events. The toolkit teaches strategies for using trauma-informed child welfare practice to enhance the safety, permanency, and well-being of children and families who are involved in the child welfare system. The toolkit can be accessed at the NCTSN Learning Center for Child and Adolescent Trauma.
The content of the toolkit was developed by the Child Welfare Committee of the National Child Traumatic Stress Network. The original version of the Toolkit was released in 2008. Training and implementation of the Toolkit has been provided to child welfare agencies and jurisdictions across the country. Revisions to the Toolkit began in 2011, and this second edition is the final result of those revisions. Changes to the Toolkit incorporate updated research and enhanced content on types of trauma, cultural implications, and long-term effects of childhood trauma, parent trauma, and secondary traumatic stress. The revised version also embodies the Essential Elements of a Child Welfare System.
The toolkit was developed by the National Child Traumatic Stress Network, in collaboration with the following organizations:
- Rady Children's Hospital, Chadwick Center for Children and Families
- Child and Family Policy Institute of California (CFPIC)
- California Social Work Education Center (CalSWEC)
- California Institute for Mental Health (CIMH)
Toolkit Contents on the Learning Center
Interested individuals can access the following components of the Toolkit at the NCTSN Learning Center for Child and Adolescent Trauma.
*Please note that you will need to register on this site in order to access the information.
• Introduction to the Toolkit (PDF)
• Trainer's Guide (PDF)
• Appendices (PDF)
• Slide Kit (PPT)
• Participant Manual (PDF)
• Supplemental Handouts (PDF)
• LISA 9-1-1 Call (Audio File)
• Recommended Reading and Resources (PDF)
• Comprehensive Guide (PDF)
• Child Welfare Trauma Training Toolkit, Version 2: Suggestions for Trainers (Mediasite) – In development
• Child Welfare Trauma Training Toolkit Companion CD-ROM